Tuesday, April 18, 2023

If you did not know I was a garden geek...

Cherry trees are on my mind. My single pie cherry has made enough cherries for a pie the last couple of years and I am sort of thinking of more. And thinking of cherries to eat, straight off the tree. Turns out my favorite vendor of such creatures, Fedco, right here in Maine, is having a get 'em while you can sale online starting tomorrow, for a week. I have researched and picked out the eating cherry trees that are most likely to survive here. Unfortunately they both require pollination from another tree.. and one of their kind will not work, so this will be a bit of a crap shoot. Also the pie cherry tree which has been so fruitful (self-pollinating) will not help in this game. 

SO...

If I can log in and score a tree at a somewhat discounted price, I will be happy. If I can figure out two that might pollinate each other and score one of each I will be close to broke, but will deal.

I am kinda chuckling here, inside at least, thinking about friends who have stayed up until midnight, queued up in all kinds of weather at stores out there for video game or book midnight release parties. They had a blast, or so they reported, hanging with their fellow geeks until time to (usually politely, at least here in Maine) rush the doors. But for me, it's trees... the big ticket item in my "garden". Defining "big ticket" for something that will outlast my lifetime as selling for under $40 might seem odd, but that kinda defines a low-income senior. 

 I am also adding to the list some other things that might be nice, if the cherries fail to materialize: a peach tree to replace the one that my friend Morgiana bought for me, with the understanding that I would share many of her favorite stone fruits with her... and which set its first crop of peaches as she laid in hospital under hospice care. Each and everyone of those peaches shriveled and died, as did the tree, the day of her passing. I am happy to think that she took them with her, but I would like to try again. 

 And my blueberry area is not yet full.

So we will see what we will see.. (I will not spend the mortgage or electric bill money. I will not!! LOL)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice, stay on topic please.