Sunday, March 26, 2023

Addressing the Seasonal Gardening Questions: PART 2

Once we know when to look for our last spring and first fall frosts (you did write them down, I hope, after our last discussion here!) we are ready to start selecting seeds and planning what to start inside, and what can go directly into the garden, and when to think about doing it. 

I will be using the dates for my location: June 1-10 and Sept 21-30. There is a handy web tool for figuring days between two dates, if you don't want to flip calendar pages and count. I don't so I have brought up https://www.timeanddate.com/date/duration.html and by comparing the latest spring frost date and the earliest fall one and then the opposite pair, I have determined my growing season averages between 104 and 122 days.

Which, in my thinking, makes those long season, huge jack-o-lantern pumpkins an iffy proposition. But there is more to gardening than just the numbers. And more to many of the numbers than their implied precision.

What does days to harvest on a seed packet or in a catalog actually mean? 

Seeds that get planted directly into the garden, like these green beans, are pretty straightforward if you understand to start counting when you see them peeking up through the earth. Remember, though, that soil moisture (you may need to water them), temperature and even weed pressure can slow them down. Also, though it may seem obvious, they do not all get picked the very same day. I usually get a small picking or two, enough for a side dish for supper as the first blossoms' fruit begins to mature. Of course the plants are continuing to grow and making more and more flowers which leads to a peak production, and then tapers off. In my area, I often do two planting of beans. This is called succession planing and will come up again later.

For plants that are usually introduced to the garden as transplants, the timing is calculated from transplanting. So when planning your seed starting adventure, you will need to allow a lead time to get the seeds started and to a good transplant size. But do not worry, we've got tools to help you right on the ol' Internet here. All you have to do is plug in that last frost date (and I suggest you play with timing a bit while you are learning, trying the earlier, later and an average to see which timing works best in your garden. Remember, we are using imprecise numbers! Also, when choosing varieties of vegetables with longer growing seasons, keep that first fall frost date will come into play! Remember my scenario from the previous post at frost time? I am sure you would not be a happy gardener if your tomatoes were just starting to bear well because you did not allow sufficient time between the "days to harvest" date calculated from your transplanting time and first frost to get a good crop.

Garden Timing and Planning Tools

It's time for you to meet one of my three favorite local seed companies, Johnny's Selected Seeds. I have been a customer for nearly as long as Rob Johnston, Jr. has been selling seeds, and

this is their 50th anniversary. I can attest to their commitment to their stated "same day shipping" and when I need seeds in a hurry, I shoot an email order to them as they are always "Johnny('s) on the spot." But today, we will be visiting another part of their web site, their Grower's Library, which is jam packed with info for growers from beginners to professional large market gardeners and farmers. Specifically (so you don't get lost wandering down a rabbit hole, as I often do!) we are going to the Planning Tools and Calculators and then scrolling down to the PLANT section to find the Seed-Starting Date Calculator for Seedlings Interactive Tool. Enter a last frost date from your notes, click ENTER and scroll down to see the updated information below. I cannot say enough about what this simple chart can teach you, because it does not just spit out apparently arbitrary dates, but by reading the column headers, you learn the flow of thought, and various crops needs, as you see, reading columns right to left, who can be set out at or even before frost, who needs to wait until after, and how long and exactly (if anything in this science is exact!) how that relates to your particular average frost date. And then, as important, how long the lead time is for each crop. We do not all grow at the same rate, yanno? And if you think the vegetable info is useful, keep scrolling and check out the huge array of flowers also listed. They also note: * Usually direct-sown, but can be started indoors and ** Specifically recommended for direct-seeding outdoors.  

Click back a screen and check out any of the other tools and topics and catch your attention. If you have wondered about timing of succession planting, like I do to make sure I have lettuce all year long (spring planted lettuce is gone, here, by the time BLT season begins) or want to work backward from first fall frost to make sure your crops ripen, they have tools for that, too. And videos as well, if that is how you learn best.

I cannot just let Johnny's get publicity here, though, as I have two more local seed sellers that I rely on each year. This year, though, with my garden being smaller and my budget as squeezed as everyone's is, I ordered most of my seeds from a much less publicized smaller family business: Pinetree Seeds. I really appreciated their selection of packets with fewer seeds at really great prices. Yes, most seeds will last at least a few years, when stored properly, but if you, like me, are often seduced by new-to-me or different varieties, you know how fast the partially filled packets collect! It was nice to have a pack of 30 storage cabbage seeds, and an equal number of shorter season ones for summer
Clancy  F1 potato

slaw and scalloped cabbage. They are not as quick to ship as Johnny's, but since I planned ahead, I was willing to wait and the savings made it really worth it. They have always been great seeds, too. And just for S&G, have you ever planted a potato seed... as opposed to a seed potato? Thanks to Pinetree, I have 20 potato seeds sprouting right now on my grow rack!

And I cannot overlook our long standing friends at Fedco. Around here, they are almost better know for their trees and a tree sale at their facility in Clinton Maine that was held annually in late April or early May in pre-

pandemic times. But they sell supplies year round, potatoes and onions in the spring and seeds as well. They are very focused on organic methods and active in the community as big supporters of MOFGA (Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association.) All of the fruit trees here on my farm have thus far come from Fedco. 

That is it for now, folks. If you still have questions, remember to find your local extension agent! If my rambling verbosity has confused you, though, shoot me an email and I will try to clarify the issue...  with more rambling verbosity, unfortunately. Happy gardening!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice, stay on topic please.