Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Trees Awaken, Warm the Earth


We act like the longer daylight and sun rising higher in the sky collaborate to bring us spring but I think not. I think they only wake the trees. Like many of us who can, the trees pull their energy inside, tucked down deep in the earth's constant temperature zone and, eventually tucked in by a fluffy white blanket -- as I am 'neath my warm down quilt -- they slumber.

But now and the sun rises earlier and earlier, they begin to awaken. Does their internal temperature rise as they awaken, as ours often does? I think so. I think their blood, circulating with more vigor and warmth in their roots, as they begin to stir -- imperceptibly perhaps, as these standing ones are not known for visible movement -- is what begins to warm the land.

Is this not why, in an expanse of standing snow in my orchard or across the back field where only wild-planted trees and bushes live, around each tree, each bush is a circle of open earth?

Love spring? Thank a tree.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice, stay on topic please.